So, I’m keepin’ it real. Hopefully this fail will give you a good laugh and start your weekend off right. Remember my Cafe Rio Black Bean post (see it here)? I love those beans, and I make them every time I make my Cafe Rio Beef. Sometimes, I’m running behind. Okay, most of the time I’m behind schedule, so I whipped out my handy, dandy pressure cooker to cook my dried black beans. I’d done it before, just never like this. Look…
Here’s a picture my son took to capture this lovely memory. Please keep in mind that this picture does not even begin the capture the horror I was feeling in the moment. The liquid was seeping across the stove and the counters, pouring onto the floor, spewing all over me. As it seeped across the stove, the liquid was going into the area under the control knobs. It was not a fun moment.
Are you wondering how could I make such a huge mess? Let me tell you. I was going along my merry way making the beans. My most favorite beans…
The timer went off, and I turned off the heat. I don’t know what I was thinking, but rather than release some of the pressure from the pot or let it cool sufficiently, I decided to press the button the unlocks the pot. If there’s still some built up pressure, it will release it and allow me to safely open the pan. I learned that this is a VERY BAD THING to do! I didn’t have any explosion or anything like that, but, as the pressure cooker was releasing the pressure from the pot, liquid came out. Dark brown liquid.
A LOT OF IT!
All over my counters, the tile back splash, the stove, and the tile floor. And all over me. No burns or anything, but it made a big, BIG mess! Actually the word “Big” does not even begin to describe it. My son, Michael, insisted on taking a picture “for the blog.” I was a little unhappy about it at the time (and I definitely was not planning to blog about it), but I think it is appropriate to capture the “not so fun” moments, so we can laugh about them later.
I used many towels to clean up this monstrosity!
A few minutes prior, I was begging the kids to help by grabbing some bath towels, while mopping up what I could with paper towels (I went through the rest of the roll, and it didn’t even make a dent.) They were AWESOME and ran to the rescue! We stopped the spread of the mess and cleaned it up. (YEAH! Thanks, boys!)
Then, we realized that the electric ignition (pilot light) for the stove (on every burner) was going off continually. I googled the problem and read that this can happen when the ignition gets wet. So I dried each one off thinking that would help. No luck… I tried turning on all the burners, thinking it would dry out faster if they were on. No luck. I read that sometimes it helps to turn off the breaker and then turn it back on. No luck. When John arrived home, he found a website that said you need to turn the breaker off for 24 hours, then turn it back on (after the stove has dried out), and that should fix the problem. Nope! STILL NO LUCK!
I was getting worried. We have a cooktop range, and it is quite pricey to replace. Last night, I was so stressed about it when I went to bed, that I prayed about it. I woke up still stressed. That’s saying something, because I am a “wing it” kind of gal, and most things don’t stress me out too much. This was stressing me BIG TIME!
The following morning, one of the boys needed to heat something in the microwave, which is on the same breaker as the stove, so Michael went outside and flipped it on. Lo and behold, I witnessed a miracle! My stove was fixed! No more incessant clicking! No more guilt about ruining my cooktop! I gave Michael a huge hug and called John with the good news. We were (and are) so grateful to our Heavenly Father for helping us and blessing us with a functioning stove!
So, no long term damage done. Life was good again. At least until I broke my stove again the other day while making marmalade. The water boiled over in the water bath canner and it was enough that the stove started “clicking” again. Thankfully, it only went on for about 10 minutes, then it shut off.
Help me in my quest to “get real” and share some of your kitchen disasters.
We will all have a good laugh and feel so much better knowing we are not alone in our imperfection.